Thursday, September 1, 2011

Sewing Machine Arrival!

It came! It came! It came!

My new sewing machine arrived yesterday by FedEx at 4:00 pm!

It was the longest, most excruciating wait for any package, ever.

The FedEx man usually arrives from 11 am to 1 pm, so I was rather concerned and getting antsy when my dear, sweet sewing machine had not yet arrived.

But, finally, she came.

In a pretty box, with all of her pieces, 10 fingers and 10 toes - haha.


She's pretty and she's pink and I shall call her - Naomi.


She has 29 garment construction stitches and functions, 13 decorative stitches, 11 heirloom stitches, and 6 quilting stitches, and all the bells and whistles I will probably never learn (or need to know) how to use. ;)

She's normally $150, but I got her on sale for $99.

Since I have delusionally started a quest to sew my own clothing, I will start out with the smaller projects I mentioned in my last post and I will attempt to start garment construction using the devil fabric - jersey knit.

I love jersey knit, but goddamn if it isn't a stretchy bastard to sew.

I have 2 yds of jersey knit in green and 2 yds in purple and I plan to make these:



The top is another downloadable pattern I got from Interweave Shop and all I need to get is lace fabric in order to have everything I need.

The dress just requires a zipper, hook and eye, and interfacing.

The dress will, obviously, be the last on my current to-sew list because... I've never worked with zippers. I've never sewn a dress - successfully. And fuck, it's kind of scary to think about sewing a garment that requires interfacing and (probably) fancy sewing techniques.

Hopefully sewing coasters and a cat pillow will be a good primer in garment construction.... 

Ahem, yeah. 

More like, hopefully I survive making clothing better than I did the last time I attempted making a dress.

It ended with tears and a sad, sad tube of cloth that never saw the light of day due to how malformed and horrible it was.

I did successfully sew a pair of boxers in 7th grade home ec, so perhaps all is not lost for me. Hah.




Keep crafting,

Gabriella

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, that's so exciting! I hear the "Brother" brands are one of the good ones. I like that dress pattern you have too! And purple is an awesome color for any clothing (my personal favorite). You're right, it is kind of scary when you've never sewn clothes (successfully) before, so we're both pretty much in the same boat. It'll be fun though starting a new project, so hopefully it'll turn out awesome for the both of us! That's the way to go- start slow and easy then work your way up to the more difficult stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Naomi is GORGEOUS!!! I can't wait to see what you come with. Have fun, Babe! :)

    ReplyDelete