Monday, August 29, 2011

Decisions, decisions

So it looks like I have to survive until the 31st without a sewing machine - if it arrives on time.

I've been busy reading sewing magazines, books, and studying patterns in preparation for the big day.

I've gathered up a few patterns that I think will be good to start off on because, let's face it, I'm more than a little bit rusty and I'll have to get the hang of using my new sewing machine.

The contenders for my beginning projects are as follows....



Option 1 is this adorable cat pillow - the pattern is from Interweave Store and it's only $4.00 for a digital download of the pattern. I love the patterns from Interweave Store because you don't have to wait for them to ship! You just download the PDF and print the pattern from home - no going to the store, no waiting 7-10 business days for the FedEx man to deliver - just click, print, and go.

Option 2 is any of these sewing room accessories from Stitch Magazine - also part of the Interweave family. The Fall 2011 edition has tons of great projects and includes the patterns in the back. Plus, it's only $14.99 for the issue and it includes something like 40 projects with patterns. Such a steal!

The first project pictured is a set of nested storage boxes in coordinating fabrics. I think these would be great for all of the crafting clutter I'm sure to accumulate in the coming weeks.

The second project pictured is a crafting apron - also sure to be useful when I'm sewing up other projects.

And finally, the third project pictured, and one of my favorites, is a set of embroidery hoop wall pockets. I think that these would look fantastic next to my desk and I can't get over how clever they are.


Option 3, and my favorite contender so far, is this project for hexagon placements and coasters - also from Interweave Store and also only $4.00. The boyfriend and I have lived in our new apartment for over a month now, and somehow we still don't have coasters. I love the idea of being able to make coasters that coordinate with the colors of both our dining room and living room. Plus, this project seems like it will be fairly easy and would be a great way for me to learn how to use my new sewing machine.

Let me know what you guys think! Which project should be the project to take my new sewing machine's virginity? ;)



Keep crafting,

Gabriella

1 comment:

  1. No contest, you HAVE to make them all, but I would start with the apron, as it is simple! I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete