Sunday, September 4, 2011

Botched Coasters and New Cat Toys

Well I finally broke out the new sewing machine!

I intended on making these:


But ended up with this:

I kinda, sorta, maybe messed up a couple of steps...

But hey!

Jaks loves the sad, deformed coaster I made.

Last night, the boyfriend sat on one side of the living room and I sat on the other and we threw the coaster back and forth and played "Monkey in the Middle" with Jaks the cat.

He loves his new, soft frisbee toy - so at least it will get some use!

I also sewed him a little play mouse, complete with a ribbon tail - which is much easier on the eyes.

But he's managed to stash it away with all of his other missing toys and I didn't manage to get a picture before he cat-napped it. :/

If it ever turns up, I'll be sure to take a picture for your viewing pleasure.

On the agenda for this week's sewing projects:


I have everything I need to make the cat pillow.

I bought a pack of quilting quarters for the fabric remnants needed for the appliques. It's an assortment of dusty pinks, soft greens, and some kickin' yellow.


I also bought enough lace to make two of the ruffle tunics.

I figured it would be easier, and help me with learning how to sew garments better, if I did the same piece twice, rather than doing the tunic and immediately jumping to a dress.

Plus, I think the colors of jersey knit I have will both look better in tunic form than in the dress.

The lace I bought is a pretty dark brown, so these will be the colors:


I had wanted to do a lovely steel grey lace, but unfortunately none was to be had at Joann's.

I figured that the brown would go well enough with both the green and the purple that I just bought enough to do both the tunics with that.

We'll see how this week's sewing adventures go!




 Keep crafting,

Gabriella

2 comments:

  1. You know, for a first attempt, that's not bad! Patchwork can be tricky, but I'm sure you'll ace it in no time! I love how the kitty's LOVE everything we make, even if they are a disaster! Cats are great that way!

    The fabric you bought for the tunic looks awesome, I love the gemstone green and purple, plus the topaz lace makes a great contrast! I hope you have lots of fun and remember, keep your scissors nice and sharp! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're little tea cozies are so cute! Even for your first try you did really well! I hear first attempts on everything usually go poorly, but with plenty of practice you'll get it in no time! I like the colours you've chosen for your tunics- brown can pretty much go with anything!

    ReplyDelete