Monday, September 19, 2011

Defeating the Perils of Online Shopping

I like to buy clothes online.

I don't have to leave the house.

I don't have to deal with the crowds of teenagers at the mall.

I can easily see all of the clothes a store has to offer.

And I oftentimes get awesome discounts emailed to me that make it worth it to buy online.

But there's a problem with online shopping.

A dark side to this otherwise beautiful invention.


Fit.

Half the clothes I buy end up being returned or exchanged because they just don't fit.

I recently bought a pair of cropped slim khakis from The Gap.

Clearance! $10! Awesome steal!

One size available...

I bought a 6 hoping and praying that the "slim fit" would make them actually fit.

No such luck.

Much too big and couldn't be returned because they were a clearance item.

Time to get creative.

I took a pair of cropped slim pants I had from Banana Republic that did fit and laid them over the too big khakis.


Made a couple of marks to denote how much they needed to be taken in.

Then wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am.

Sewed a quick seam - didn't even bother with pinning. I just kept the seam allowance even and the fabric was stiff enough that it didn't budge when I was sewing it.


The end result was not disastrous!

I was terrified to sew on store-bought clothing - but these pants were so cheap and couldn't be returned, so I figured:

Hey, if it doesn't work out, it's okay. I wasn't going to wear them anyways. If it does work out, then I've got a new pair of pants to wear.

Well, it worked out!


My slim cropped pants are now actually SLIM, instead of baggy and weird.

Success!

I'm currently working on sewing that ruffle trim top. It's turning out to be harder than expected and I've been spending the past few days slowly ripping out a seam - but I'm determined to finally finish it and I'll post it the second it's completed!



Keep crafting,

Gabriella

2 comments:

  1. Oh, very 'Mad Men', Darling! I love it! Those cute little toes! Good job on the 'take in', they look great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job with those pants! The joys of sewing- you can alter anything to fit the way you want too! Saves you time and money. I hear your about ripping out seams- I've had to do that a few times...I need to finish hemming a dress once I rip out the first attempts at the hemming job :/.

    ReplyDelete